Jan 7, 2013

90 day Crossfit Mama's challenge

I have so many resolution this year that I think posting and writing them down might be the way to hold myself accountable.

My fitness/health goal: Workout 5 times a week.  That hopefully look like: Run 3x/wk, swim or bike 2x/wk, and do a short crossfit workout at least 3x's/week with one of the other workouts.  Eat less treats.  I am working on self control at the moment so I have not set a specific goal for my treat limits yet...baby steps!

I have really wanted to get into crossfit (a mix of bursts of cardio and weights in rounds or a certain amount for a certain time).  I have found a few great sites that the workout give you a great workout and in about 20-30 minutes and even has videos to show you how to do each type of exercise.  I drew up a cheat sheet of stick men :) The equipment is minimal too and you can be creative in substituting.

Equipment needed: (preferred sub if you don't have)
10-20 pound dumbbells (I only have 10's now but might look for 20 at a secondhand store)
jumprope
pull-up bar (we have one that goes in your door jam.  I think it was $9.00)
10 pound weight ball (I don't have I will have to think of a sub)
18" box (I will use a bench that I have but make sure it is very stable and secure)
timer

One of the sites is doing a 90 day challenge so I thought that would help me.  I just started today so it isn't too late.  Just weigh yourself and measure yourself, if you'd like.  She is also challenging everyone to remove something for a week but it gets added to the next week and so on.  This week is no caffein.  I will be adding addition runs/bikes/swims that I can squeeze in to work towards my triathlon season.

Today's workout is:
Do 6 set for time (Do all 4 6 times and time yourself)
24 squats
24 walking lunges
24 pushups
run 400 meters

My time today was 29:07.  My treadmill is in the other room so I had to run to it but I am moving it soon so hopefully I can improve.  Your time doesn't need to be compared to mine. (It's not that great of a time, I'm just sayin')  If you'd like you can comment on what your time was so you can keep track too.

Time your exercise and try to improve the next time.  I do girl pushups.  If you don't have a treadmill or know how long 400 m is then replace it with something that will elevate your heart rate as much as it would to do one lap around a track (around 1.5 min fast-3 slow).  Like jumprope, elliptical, running down the block, jumping jacks, use your imagination!  The site is http://www.calicrossfit.blogspot.com/  You can sign up for the daily emails too.

The other site is http://blondeponytail.com/ she has an amazing recipe for energy bars but I need to do the nutritional info on them.  She also have a ton of crossfit workouts.

So, I will be doing her workout but I don't have the shakes but I do have other protein shakes that I can use.  I would love to have others do this with me.  Please don't be intimidated, do what you can.  If you have any questions I will answer them if I can :)

Wishing you and I "GOOD LUCK, this is very doable"!

2 comments:

Anne and Peter said...

44.07 however my 400 M was right outside our house running down and back up our big hill. I also was going back and forth with Peter running the hills so sometimes I had to wait for him. I also did girl push ups.

I am so excited you found this. I need something extra to get me in shape for our cruise in March and I always wanted to do crossfit.

Chelsea said...

That's great! I'm not worried about times especially since we are not in an organized gym. I'm so glad you are going to be doing this too.