I attempted to make my own laundry detergent and it was soooooo easy. It literally took 5 minutes to make 2 batches and it is dirt cheap. I figure under $1 for 16-32 loads depending on how dirty or large your load is.
If you get your soap at Costco it's super cheap (even wait for their coupons for more of a deal) or I got a large pack at target that made each bar .47. A box of Borax was $3.50 at Target so I'm sure it's cheaper at Walmart. I didn't find the soda at Target but I didn't look hard since I had some.
Powdered Laundry Soap:
2 cups finely grated soap (Ivory, Fels Naptha, Zote, homemade, or a combination)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
Mix and store in a can or what have you. Use 1-2 T per load. I put mine in a food processor to make it more fine and look like store bought. I am also going to buy a grater and measuring cups just for this and keep it in a bucket so I don't contaminate our food ;) and its ready for next time.
Since there is no water added…it is very concentrated and you hardly use any per load!
Just tried mine today and it smells great. I used Irish spring mountain fresh or something like that.
You can make liquid but it is more involved and I like easy and 5 minutes I can do.


No comments:
Post a Comment